This Teriyaki Chicken stir fry recipe is easy and delicious with a homemade teriyaki sauce. It’s an easy teriyaki chicken recipe that can be made in minutes, and the aromas that fill your house are second to none! It’s a quick and delicious recipe the whole family is sure to enjoy.
Why get take out when you can make your own homemade teriyaki chicken without a store-bought sauce in as little as 10 minutes!? Diced chicken breast seasoned with garlic, soy, and more. The flavors are addicting and you will never want to use a store bought sauce again.
You can make quick work with this recipe by using boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs. If you love teriyaki you’re going to go crazy over this recipe. This recipe is simple and easy and dinner is ready in a flash. It’s another quick and easy recipe, perfect for busy weeknights, done in under 30 minutes.
NOTE: Your time is important to us. Keep reading, or click that jump to recipe button above to print out this Teriyaki Chicken recipe and save it for later!
Like this recipe? Make sure you pin it to one of your favorite boards! Follow EverythingIsChicken on Pinterest!
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken
Your entire family is going to love this recipe and begging you to make this over and over. You only need a few easy ingredients you probably already have in your house!
- Soy Sauce – this is the base and main ingredient. Grab a low sodium version or go full force with this ingredient.
- Olive oil – to sear the chicken with. You can also use vegetable oil if preferred.
- Sugar – we use white granulated sugar, but brown sugar works well, too.
- Rice Wine Vinegar – you can also use any white vinegar if you don’t have this one.
- Mirin – Typically found in the aisle with Asian foods and sauces. Grab a bottle in store or order it online. If you can’t find it, don’t worry, it will still taste good if you have to omit this ingredient.
- Garlic – I like to use fresh minced garlic for this recipe. You don’t want to skip this step, it’s what kicks these flavors up and will make the house smell Ah-mazing!
- Ginger – a dash of ground ginger makes this dish pop!
If you have boneless skinless chicken thighs use them, they are perfect for this recipe. They stay juicier and seem to absorb the sauce better than chicken breasts. If you are working with chicken breasts, no worries! They will still taste amazing.
Sear the chicken quickly in a pre-heated skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and let it get hot, but don’t let the oil burn. Add the chicken and let it fry! It’s important to use a large pan when cooking the chicken so that they actually fry and turn a nice brown.
Rice Vinegar and Mirin
I love to use vinegar in this recipe and love the flavors it creates with the sugar, garlic, and soy sauce. If you’re unable to find Rice Wine Vinegar, you can use any white vinegar you may have on hand.
Mirin is strong and sweet and really helps this recipe come together. If you have a hard time finding it, you can omit it, but I would recommend trying to purchase it online so you can have it on hand the next time you make fried rice or teriyaki chicken.
What to Serve With Teriyaki Chicken
Steamed vegetables like broccoli and carrots are perfect with this recipe. I also love to serve it with steamed white rice, jasmine rice, or even a bowl of homemade fried rice. Make sure to drizzle the extra sauce over the chicken and sides before serving!
You can also add additional toppings such as diced red peppers, green onion tops, and sesame seeds to finish it off.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
Make sure to grab the full printable recipe card below! It has all of our notes, tips, and tricks in one spot. If you love it, share the love and rate it! It lets us know what you like and what we should make more of. It also tells others what they should be making! Think it needs a change, leave your recipe suggestions or additions in the comments below! We also love a good changeup.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, check out how to make these other delicious recipes:
- Homemade Fried Rice
- Easy Yum Yum Sauce
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
Share your photos online! You can tag us on Instagram @pinkwhenjen.
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 lb chicken thighs boneless, skinless, cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Mirin optional, but use it if you can!
- 2 tsp minced garlic fresh garlic, 2 cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and allow to heat up. Add the oil and chicken then stir fry the chicken. Allow the chicken to brown, stirring and tossing occasionally.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and Mirin in a small bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the skillet and saute for about 30-45 seconds until garlic has browned. Pour in the sauce mixture and stir for about 3 minutes or until thickened into a glaze.
- Serve over fried rice, steamed rice, or steamed broccoli and carrots. Garnich with green onion tops, sesame seeds, and top with remaining sauce from the pan.
- You can omit the Mirin in this recipe if you can’t find it.
- If the sauce is too thick, add in water in small increments until its reached desired thickness.